Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ruben de la Red has retired, at the age of 25 and was given coaching role at Madrid

Real Madrid ace Ruben de la Red has retired from playing at 25 due to a heart problem.


The Spain midfielder collapsed on the field during Madrid's Copa del Rey clash with Real Union in October 2008 and has not played football since.


Ruben de la Red has spoken this morning of his decision to confirm his retirement from playing as a result of his heart condition, and stated he will always have “infinite gratitude” to the club for offering him a coaching position at the Santiagio Bernabeu.

In a press conference alongside general director Jorge Valdano, De La Red spoke at length about his decision, and what the future holds for him.

He announced: “Today is a day that represents the change of life of Ruben de la Red. I have ended my playing career and now doors have opened for another life. The club has offered me, someone very young, the opportunity to stay tied to football and I will not waste it. 



“I’ll learn my role as a coach and give everything, as I did as a player. I have infinite gratitude to the club for giving me this opportunity, and to the fans that supported me and the doctors that treated me. I hope that football will remain part of my life for a long time.”

De La Red also discussed the medical advice that left him with no choice but to call time on his career, continuing: “I want to start giving my support to all those athletes who have suffered like me, who have had their dreams cut short sooner than expected. Doctors recommended to me that I should not return to the shirt of Real Madrid.

“A problem in my heart compels me to retire, but my heart still beats for Real Madrid.”


No comments:

ads

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails